Java has served us well ...
Java has been steady for many years. However, we have improved the admin and volunteer experience with newer technology for desktops (Windows and Mac) which allows for faster setup on Sundays. Check the help article around this awesome tool and see the time to launch Check-In for your volunteers quickly accelerate!
When attempting to launch the printer application within Check-In, it must open a JNLP file using javaws. Each file type on your computer is associated with an application that runs it. Files of type JNLP are run by Java Web Start. It is possible for JNLP files to become associated with another application, causing it to open incorrectly. Because Java Web Start opens the search application, when the JNLP files are associated incorrectly, the search application cannot open. If the check-in JNLP file does not open using javaws by default, the link below will walk you through the steps to manually set your computer so that it does this by default.
To modify the file association to have JNLP files open with Java Web Start on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer follow the steps below:
- Click to Accept Registry Disclaimer, then click the link to Launch the search application
- When prompted to open or save, choose save
- Navigate to the saved location to right-click on the saved .jnlp file and choose Open With
- Make sure there is a check-mark in the box that says Always use this app to open .jnlp files, then click More apps
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Look for another app on this PC
- Select the Java folder, (If you do not see Java, go back up one level to the c:/ drive and select Program Files(x86), then select the Java folder. If you do not have a Java folder here, you will want to go to www.java.com and download the latest version before continuing with these steps.)
- Double click the latest jre folder (example: jre7, jre1.8_191, etc)
- Double click the bin folder
- Double click the javaws application
- Click the Close button
- JNLP files will now open, by default, with Java Web Start
- Open Default Programs by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Default programs in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking Default Programs.
- Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Locate .JNLP under the list of registered file types. Highlight the JNLP file by tapping or clicking .JNLP under the Extensions column, then tap or click on Change Program.
- Tap or Click Java™ Web Start Launcher from the list of programs.
- If you do not see Java Web Start Launcher listed, tap or click More options then Look for another app on this PC.
- Tap or double-click on Local Disk (C:) in the left column (located under “Computer”).
- Tap or double-click Program Files (x86). If you do not see this, select Program Files instead.
- Locate and select the Java folder.
- Select the latest JRE folder (JRE6 or JRE7 or jre1.8_*).
- Select bin.
- Select javaws.exe and press Open.
JNLP files will now open, by default, with Java Web Start.